In 1728-29 Count B.K. fon Minikh compiled the heraldic collection where the St.Petersburg's Emblem was on the fourth place. In his description there were some more accurate definitions: the Scepter was completed with State Emblem- two headed Eagle and above the shield there was the tsar's Crown. In 1730 the Minkh's heraldic collection was approved by Anna Ioanovna. On May 7, 1780 Ekatherina II consolidated the existed St.Petersburg Emblem by her special Edict. In 1856 Alexander II approved St.Petersburg Emblem that was made by B.V.Kene. Its difference from the previous one was that emblem's shield was crowned by royal crown and sky-blue ribbons of Andrei Pervozvanny Order, behind them there were depicted two crossed scepters which symbolized the equivalent of two capitals - St.Petersburg and Moscow. On May 5, 1878 St.Petersburg Emblem got a status of a province emblem with changing riverine four-bladed anchor for three-bladed.
At the beginning of XX century the table that included the State Emblem and emblems of provinces and regions of European part of Russia showed St.Petersburg Emblem in a form of right-angled shield sharpened to the bottom.
The shield was crowned with gold emperor crown and framed with blue Andreev's ribbon. On the red field of the shield there were crossed silver anchors - (left) marine two-bladed and (right) riverine three-bladed. Above them there was the gold scepter with two-headed Eagle. Symbolism of the Emblem was obvious : the crown meant belonging to the all-Russian Empire, the scepter was the sign of reigned city - the capital, the anchors and blue ribbon of Andrei Pervozvanny Orders on the Russian Marine Flag said about St.Petersburg being a capital of Russian Fleet. In connection with returning to St.Petersburg its historical name the traditional Emblem was also rehabilitated. The statute of St.Petersburg Emblem was confirmed by Presidium of Leningrad Council on September 6, 1991.